Friday, 21 April 2017

Jogja (In Photos)


Last weekend I got to visit Jogjakarta, Indonesia's cultural capital in central Java.  Four friends and I went away on a girls' weekend.


Those are not the four friends I went with. 
Those are women performing some sort of ceremony at the Sultan's palace.
In case you were wondering.



In the months preparing for our move to Indonesia in 2014, I bought a Lonely Planet guide.  On the cover is a picture of Borobudur Temple at sunrise.  Ever since then, this image has been burned into my mind, and I've wanted to see it for myself.  Much appreciation to my travel companions who got up at 4am to accommodate me...


Some locals told us that the conditions for seeing the sunrise from Borobudur had not been
favorable lately, but they shared with us about a little-known viewpoint where we could see the sun coming up over Borobudur. 
And the entrance fee was a fraction of the cost.

After much debate over whether what we saw was clouds or smoke, we realized we were watching the sun rise over Mount Merapi, an active volcano.


The pointy thing in the middle of the picture below is Borobudor Temple.


And this, below, is what we came to see.






Later in the morning we went to Borobudor Temple



It was ... a little bit crowded.








Back in the city center, we went to a silver jewellery making workshop.






Our teacher.





And just for good measure, here's that sunrise again.



No comments:

Post a Comment