Monday, 21 July 2014

First Things First


We landed in Jakarta airport and I had coffee stains on my shirt, swollen feet, and more than anything I wanted to brush my teeth.  My senses were overloaded.  The air smelled like smoke and humidity, and I willed myself to keep counting our boys and our suitcases to make sure we didn't lose them.  Our group waited by the rental bus while Ezra and I went and had our first cultural experience: the washroom.

There were three stalls.  Two had pictures on the doors of toilets, one had a squat toilet.  Ezra wanted to forego the two empty toilet stalls and wait for the squat toilet.  He turned and looked at the sinks and the soap pumps, and said, 'Interesting.'  And so we used the squat toilet and washed our hands with the interesting soap and rejoined our group with a sense of absolute accomplishment.  And I knew that everything was going to be just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment