Do a Google Image search of 'Jakarta.' You'll find a whole lot of beautiful images like this one:
Several weeks ago I had a brief conversation with a long-term missionary who had spent some time at home in Canada and was about to return to Indonesia. She listened as I told her where we were going and looked at me for a few seconds before speaking.
"Why Jakarta?" She asked.
I said that we didn't really choose it, it fell in our laps. That was where Pat was offered a position. That was where we felt God leading us.
She sat silently for another few seconds and I could tell she was seeing with her mind's eye.
"There is so much poverty there."
And that was the first time someone said those words out loud to me. I had heard all the wonderful things about where we are going, the great community we will be part of, the bigger vision of the school we will be working with. And I've read everything I can get my hands on about Indonesia. I know the demographic statistics. The disparity between the 0.01% wealthy and the 99.99% living in poverty. I know the big picture of why we are going. But that was the first time someone really said that to me. With such incredible sadness in her eyes.
Do a Google Image search of Jakarta Slums. You'll find a whole lot of this:
And this...
And that is what is on my mind lately.



No comments:
Post a Comment